Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Has Worship Songs became Commercialized?

Today I was given a task to do some amendments on our education text books. I opened one of the music book and was stunned...

Had you ever heard or sing this song during Praise & Worship/church fellowship?
It goes like this:

"I love you Jesus, deep down in my heart.
I love u Jesus, deep down in my heart.
Talk about deep, deep, down, down,
deep down in my heart.
Talk about deep, deep, down, down,
deep down in my heart."

I believe many people like this song and enjoyed when singing it. But do you ever think of the combination of the lyrics and the melody whether it is working together that glorify our Lord? Or is it just to make us happy when we sing it? To attract youngsters?

Back to the music text book, I found a song which is pretty ironic.
It goes like this:

"I love *my bunny, deep down in my heart.
I love *my bunny, deep down in my heart.
Talk about deep, deep, down, down,
deep down in my heart.
Talk about deep, deep, down, down,
deep down in my heart."
(*my doggie; my birdie; my kitty)

This writer is a christian, see what she did to the song that christians use to worship the Lord. And it is very obvious that the song is really not suitable for worshiping because the melody and the lyrics can easily be replaced to worldy things, for man kind's purposes.

A thing to ponder... who is our 'target audience' during worship. Man? Or God?

No comments:

Post a Comment